A good hunter must be precise in his movements, must be focused, and most of all must be familiar with the instincts of his prey but has the passion of a predator. Hunting is a thrilling sport that relies not just on physical strength but also on mental toughness.
In hunting, you’ll have a lot of tools at your disposal and your hunting style often manifests on your weapon of choice. A rifle is nice but there’s nothing like a bow. In this article, we’re going to talk about some of the best compound hunting bows and find out which one best suits your hunting game. A good weapon can up the ante on your hunting skills and together with your instincts can form a perfect combo to catch a few preys. Let the fun begin!
A good compound hunting bow can do wonders to your hunting game:
- Compound hunting bows are extremely accurate. So if accuracy is what you’re looking for then it’s a no brainier choice. It’s got one of the best bow sights across all types of bows so you definitely need to give it a try.
- It’s not just accurate but it also shoots fast arrows. So now, you have speed and accuracy.
- Going on a long hunting trip? Worry not for the compound hunting bow is lightweight and it will prevent unnecessary strain and fatigue to your body.
- It has no specific draw length.
- The compound hunting bow is highly recommended for casual archers and all types of hunters. It is easy to use aside from the aforementioned accuracy and speed. It’s also multi-purpose and versatile.
Other types of bows you can use for hunting is the Crossbow, Longbow, and the Recurve bow. Each would have its pros and cons, strengths, and specific learning curves to learn to wield them. You must find a tool that best fits your style and what fits the prey you plan to hunt.
Best Compound Hunting Bow Product Reviews:
We’ve listed a few of the best hunting bows (compound, crossbows, recurve bows) for you to choose from.
Top of the line performance
Some reported functionality malfunction
Versatile compound bow
Some durability issues
Decent draw length range
A few reported safety issues
Durability is its strength
A little heavy
Made from durable and tough material
Lowest in speed amongst every bow on the list
Great all-around bow for every hunter
Also not a lot of reviews online to prove its quality claims
A bit heavy
Made from high quality and durable materials
Not as durable as advertised
Exhibits the fastest speed capability amongst everything on our list
Some malfunctions reported
Some safety issues and string breakage problems
BARNETT STR Crossbow Whitetail Hunter
- Speed at 375 ft. per second
- Weight is 6.6 lbs.
- Width is 18.125” Axle to Axle
- Dimensions: 34.875 X 20.125”
- Made of lightweight fiberglass composite
- Has an anti-dry fire “TriggerTech” trigger
- Comes with a 4×32 mm Multi-Reticle Scope, Two 22” Headhunter Arrows, Rope Cocking Device, Lightweight Quiver, and Lube Wax
Let’s start our hunting bow review with one of the best crossbows we can find in the market today. The BARNETT Whitetail Hunter STR Crossbow has all the desirable qualities you’d need by your side when hunting.
Speed and accuracy are its bread and butter while making sure you are safe while utilizing it. It’s got convenient components like its scope that will surely up your hunting game.
- Top of the line performance
- Superb speed and accuracy
- Tried and tested in terms of safety to use
- Compatible with a lot of other accessories
- Good brand and good reviews online
- Some reported functionality malfunction
Bear Archery Cruzer G2 Adult Compound Bow
- Equipped with 6 Trophy Ridge accessories
- Adjustable from 12 to 30 inches of draw length range plus a 5 to 70 pounds peak draw weight
- No need to use a bow press for adjustment only an Allen wrench
- Weighs 3 pounds and speed of up to 315 feet per second
The Bear Archery Cruzer G2 Adult Compound Bowis a lightweight and versatile bow that even your kids can use because it is quite adjustable. Don’t’ let the name mislead you because this one has been tested and proven safe for kids to utilize. It has decent speed and is lightweight perfect for beginners.
- Versatile compound bow
- Ready to use for hunting right on the get go
- Easy to adjust
- Very lightweight
- Nice grip
- Can be utilized by a child
- Some durability issues
Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Bow Package
- Draw length range at13” and 31”
- Shoots arrows to up to 310 feet per second
- Has a redesigned cam system for a smooth draw
- Built-in integral stabilizer
- Draw weight is adjustable at 5 to 70 pounds of force
If you’re looking for a stable bow and a smooth draw then this is the right tool for you. This Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Bow Packagemay be an underdog but it shows a lot of potential. People are already loving it online and so are we.
- Decent draw length range
- Decent shooting speed
- Smooth draw
- Stable and perfectly balanced
- Also very lightweight
- Extremely adjustable
- A few reported safety issues
Quest Forge Package Bow, Realtree Xtra, Right Hand
- Single cam bow includes 6061 forged construction
- Roller guard slide, and wider limbs g
- Slim design grip
- Axle to Axle is 31 inches
- Mass Weight is 3.9 pounds
- Brace Height is 7.5 inches
- Draw Weight from 40 to 70 pounds
- Draw Length Adjustable from 26 to 30.5 inches
- IBO Speed at 315 feet per second
- Package comes with a Head-Lock Six arrow quiver, a Halo rest, G5 wrist sling, G5 stabilizer, G5 tool-less sight, plus a ¼ inch Meta peep.
This Quest Forge Package Bow has been built with a lot of care in mind for the hunter. It’s got features all over that assures comfort from its grip to the slim design to the overall feel. Anyone can start using this bow they will enjoy it right away.
- Speed and accuracy is it strength
- Stable and comfortable to use
- Very adjustable
- Cool accessories
- Not a lot of reviews online to prove its quality
iGlow 30 to 55 pounds Black/Green/Camouflage Camo Archery Hunting Compound Bow
- Draw Weight (adjustable) 30 to 55 pounds
- Arrow Speed of 296+ feet per second
- Draw Length at 19″ to 29″
- Axle to Axle at 28″
- Let off of 70%
- Weight of 3.3 pounds
- Aluminum Riser
- Compression Molded and Fiberglass Limb
- Nicely Polished Bow
- 30 inch Aluminum and Carbon Arrows recommended
Speed, precision, accuracy, and strength, these are the qualities that this iGlowCamo Archery Hunting Compound Bow promises. When the game is on the line, you’d want this bow by your side. Trust us, it’s top-notch.
- Made from durable and tough material
- Superbly lightweight
- Nicely polished bow
- Lowest in speed amongst every bow on the list
Predator Archery Raptor Compound Hunting Bow Kit
- Adjustable axle to axle length of 30 inches
- Weighs at only 3.6 pounds
- Draw length is from 24.5” to 31”
- Draw weight is at an adjustable 30 to 70 pounds (No need of a bow press)
- Fully machined aluminum without any plastic
- 75% let-off
- Split yoke tuning system
- Comes witha five pin fiber optic sight plus light and level
- Also includes a TRUGLO EZ brush rest, 4 arrow quiver,stabilizer, string stop, 2’ paper target,Allen wrench, and a pre-installed D-loop and Peep sight
What we noticed about the Predator Archery Raptor Compound Hunting Bow Kitis its superb construction and fancy design. But most of all it is superbly even surprisingly comfortable to wield. You’d want that for long hunting trips and surely this one is meant for just that.
- Great all-around bow for every hunter
- Fully adjustable
- Machined aluminum with zero plastic
- Comes with a full package for hunters
- Lifetime warranty
- Lightweight and top quality build
- Also not a lot of reviews online to prove its quality claims
Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
- Speed at 350 feet per second
- Draw weight is at 150 pounds
- Kinetic energy at 103 foot-pounds
- Overall weight is at 6. 4 pounds
- Axle to axle is at 16.125 inches
- Dimensions at 34.25″ L x 18.25″W
- 5” Power Stroke
- 3-pound zero-creep release Trigger Tech Technology.
- Stainless steel components
- Nock sensor and ADF to eliminate dry fires
- Comes with a 4×32 scope, lightweight quiver,rope cocking device, two 20 inch Headhunter arrows, and lube wax (lube strings every 10 shots)
What can we say about this one? This is made from one of the world’s top bow manufacturer so it’s got all the desirable features there is. Great speed, precision, and power. That’s what this Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Cross bow boasts and it delivers.
- Superb speed
- From a top-quality brand
- Built tough
- Very well-made overall
- Good reviews online
- A bit heavy
SinoArt Falcon 60 inch Takedown Hunting Metal Riser Recurve Bow
- Specially made for right-handed shooters
- High-quality metal riser
- High-strength composite materials
- Rounded hard edges for the handle and the limb pockets
- Purchased limbs separately for options to increase or decrease the weight
This SinoArt Falcon 60″ Takedown Hunting Recurve Bow Metal Riser is comfortable and easy to wield. This is superb for beginners and can be tried by anyone.
- Made from high quality and durable materials
- Comfortable to wield
- Superbly lightweight
- Completely safe to use
- Good reviews online
- Not as durable as advertised
PSE Thrive 400 Crossbow Kryptek Highlander
- Shoots at about 400 feet per second
- Comes with 4 22 inch carbon bolts with points and one discharge bolt
- CNC mechanism meant for precision and increased power, accuracy, and speed
- Reverse cam system
- Scope and stops installed: 4 by 32 Illuminated scope plus string stops to dampen sound and vibration
- Anti-dry fire for the ultimate safety
- Comes with a quiver, rail lube, and cocking rope
Oftentimes you lose a target on a split second, that won’t happen to you if you wield this PSE Thrive 400 Crossbow Kryptek Highlander. This one boasts the fastest speed on our list and comes with that is accuracy to hit the target.
- Exhibits the fastest speed capability amongst everything on our list
- Precise and powerful
- Noiseless and no vibration
- Noiseless and no vibration
- Made from good quality material
- Some malfunctions reported
Compound Bow Topoint Archery Package M1
- For right handed individuals
- IBO at 320 feet per secnd
- Axle-to-Axle is 28 inches
- Draw weight at 19 to 70 pounds
- Draw length at 19” to 30” adjustable and without a bow press
- Brace height at 7 inches
- Let-off is 80%
- Bow weight is 3.31 pounds
- Made from Aluminum Bow Riser
- CNC milling 7075/T6 Bow CAM
This Compound Bow Topoint Archery Package M1is meant for pro hunters. It’s not only made to be tough and accurate but at the same time, it has all the needed components to help you succeed in the field. It’s highly recommended and it is a fitting finale for our list.
- Decent speed
- Made from good quality material
- Comes with a lot of useful accessories
- Tried and tested to be precise
- Some safety issues and string breakage problems
Our Top Picks!
Here is a quick section for us to highlight which bow is best for a specific category.
Best Overall Hunting Bow:
It’s a tough decision to make but we think because of its versatility, power, speed, accuracy, and overall quality build the Compound Bow Topoint Archery Package M1is the best compound hunting bow from our list.
Best Hunting Bow for Kids:
This category goes to the Bear Archery Cruzer G2 Adult Compound Bow because of its versatility and adjustability. Try it for your kids and we think they’d love it as it is easy to handle.
Best Hunting Bow for the Price:
Looking for a cheaper way to get into the hunting game? If you want to invest in a cheaper bow first then try the SinoArt Falcon 60″ Takedown Hunting Recurve Bow Metal Riser.
Best Compound Hunting Bow Buying Guide:
Here are a few important things to take note of when purchasing a compound hunting bow.
Bow Length and Draw Length
Bow length refers to the axle-to-axle measurement, this determines the stability of your bow and how susceptible it is from torque. Your draw length would determine the comfort you’ll experience when using your compound bow. Too long and it’s a lot more straining, but to short then it would be too awkward and uncomfortable to wield. Get the right draw length for maximum efficiency.
The brace height refers to the distance between your bowstring and the bowgrip. A satisfactory brace height leads to more accuracy and fewer mistakes, make sure your brace height isn’t too short.
Speed and Accuracy
A good hunting bow can go for 280 to 290 fps of feet per second. So consider this as you don’t want to miss that target by a split second. Also, speed ain’t everything and a stable bow will give you more accuracy. Don’t’ get us wrong, a good bow will help you improve your game, but practice will always make you better, even the best at it.
Weight and Draw Weight
There are a lot of things to consider when we say weight for bows in general. If you’re just practicing then yeah, it is fine to get a slightly heavier bow as it’s ok to set it down in between target practice.
But if you’re going on an actual hunting trip then that changes the entire story. You probably will be out there for a while and a heavier bow would naturally take a toll on your body. And also, consider the fact that you need to carry some other tools and equipment too.
Draw weight is pretty self-explanatory as it’s the weight or poundage you have to pull when you are about to shoot.
Sights, Rest, and Release Aid
These are some other important things that you should consider when purchasing a compound bow. There is what we call an ethical kill and you need to be conscious enough to include this on the type of bow you are buying.
There are different types of sights and what you need to purchase depends on where you will be situated when trying to take a shot. The rest is the attachment that holds the arrow in place. In turn, a good release aid ensures consistency and shot placements to be as perfect as they can be.
Another bonus tip is that before you purchase your first compound hunting bow is that you already determine which one is your dominant eye. Since this is a hand-eye coordination game then that’s one important thing to know before you go to the store.
Hunting Terminology: “Let-Off” –The let-off is the amount of mechanical relaxation that the bow achieves when in full draw, it is measured in terms of percentages. The let-off of your compound hunting bow determines the stress and fatigue that the bow puts on your body. It’s also an important factor to take note of when buying one, please ask your merchant about it.
Having the best compound hunting bow in your hands when the game is on is surely going to pay dividends. Not only will you have more chances of catching your desired prey but at the same time, it provides comfort and a lot more excitement than usual.
Knowing what makes you tick and what weapon brings out the best in you should provide that extra energy boost and skills boost necessary to be on top of your game when it counts the most. Happy hunting everyone!